The average woman only wears 20% of what’s in her closet. This makes for a lot of wasted money, wasted space, and wasted time agonizing over what to wear each day. We’re on a mission to help women get dressed smarter, which is why we’re excited to announce the 2018 Closet Cleanse. It’s a movement to rent more, buy less and donate the rest.
Step one is putting your closet in the cloud with an RTR membership. Step two is going through your closet and deciding what to keep and what to donate. We get it, parting with old clothing can be difficult. That’s why we’ve created this handy list to guide you.
What to Keep
- Versatile layering pieces. Sweaters, turtlenecks and knits that go well with everything.
- Jeans you could live in. They should be comfy, stylish, and make you feel invincible
- A great leather (or faux leather) jacket. That investment piece that instantly gives some edge to any outfit
- Workout clothes that make you excited to (actually) get moving.
- Your warm winter coat. For those moments when staying cozy and dry is priority number one.
- Shoes! Shopping less for clothes means more room in your closet for fabulous footwear.
What to Donate
- Things you swear you’ll wear someday but haven’t in the last 12 months.
- Pieces you’re holding on to out of guilt or obligation (hint: That designer top you splurged on).
- The dress you’ve worn to every cocktail party, wedding or work function for the past 3 years.
- Anything you have more than one of (pick your favorite and donate the rest.)
- Trends that should never come back.
- Anything that doesn’t make you feel incredible when you put it on.
Once you’ve sorted through your closet, it’s time to part with your old clothing. Thanks to our partners at Give Back Box, RTR will provide free prepaid shipping labels so you can donate your clothing to charity in January. All you have to do is drop off the donations at any US Post Office or mailbox (not UPS!). Please DO NOT donate any of your RTR rentals.
There are two ways to get a label. If you sign up for RTR Unlimited or RTR Update in January, we’ll include the prepaid donation bag in your first order. If you’re already a member, you can download a prepaid shipping label here and affix it to any box you already have at home.